More than 100 kids have come down with suspected food poisoning at primary school.
The children were reportedly served meals from four government contracted catering companies as part of the central kitchen project in Yucheng County, China.
Video shows chaotic scenes as children are lined in chairs in hospital, hooked up to drips.
Officials said some had been discharged after being admitted to hospital from June 10, while others were still receiving treatment.
A spokeswoman for the Yucheng Bureau of Education said ambulances were sent to hospitals in “many towns” after the kids experienced symptoms including vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhoea.
Four catering companies are reportedly being investigated as the source of cases.
Local media reports the children ate fried noodles for lunch.
Schools have been using their services since May 2018.
The incident is still being investigated.
Other cases have been reported in Shangqiu but officials do not believe they are related.
More than a dozen students at a primary school in the eastern Jiangsu province were also hospitalised for suspected food poisoning.
But an official said in those cases a number of students started complaining after seeing their other classmates in pain, and they seemed to be suffering from “psychosomatic abdominal pain”.
It’s not the first time mass numbers of students have been hospitalised with food poisoning in China.
In September, nearly 250 kindergarten students in the southern Guangdong province were hospitalised after showing symptoms of food poisoning.
Suspected food poisoning cases have also been reported in recent years at kindergartens in Shanghai, as well as Jilin and Jiangxi provinces.
In 2007 one person died and 31 students were sick in northwest China’s Shaanxi Province.
In 2003, at least 348 people, including scores of children, were admitted to hospital with food poisoning in four separate incidents.