WHAT HAPPENED IN ROUND 5 OF THE NRL:
* QUOTE OF THE ROUND: “Crowds aren’t going to help us on our last plays.” – Not even the prospect of fans returning could hide North Queensland coach Paul Green’s disappointment at his team’s inability to defend fifth-tackle plays in their loss to the Warriors.
* STAT THAT MATTERS: Parramatta made it a perfect five-from-five to start the season with a six-point comeback win over Penrith. The last time they started 5-0 was when they last won the premiership in 1986.
* MAGIC MOMENT: When Mikaele Ravalawa crossed for his second with the final play of the game against Cronulla, it not only clinched St George Illawarra’s first win of the season, but released a heap of pressure on under-fire coach Paul McGregor.
* TALKING POINT: The NRL was forced to postpone Canterbury’s clash with the Sydney Roosters by 24 hours after Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman was informed that a teacher at his child’s school tested positive to COVID-19.
* MAN OF THE ROUND: Cameron Smith was at his vintage best in Melbourne’s 26-12 triumph over Newcastle, setting up two tries, kicking five goals from as many attempts, and racking up a team-high 37 tackles.
* JUDICIARY WATCH: Sea Eagles – Danny Levi (dangerous contact); Warriors – Poasa Faamausili (dangerous contact), Jack Murchie (dangerous contact); Cowboys – Thomas Gilbert (dangerous contact); Eels – Kane Evans (dangerous contact); Wests Tigers – Russell Packer (careless high tackle); Dragons – Corey Norman (tripping).
* CASUALTY WARD: Sea Eagles – Martin Taupau (finger), Moses Suli (finger); Broncos – Kotoni Staggs (hamstring); Cowboys – Valentine Holmes (ankle), Jordan Maclean (calf); Panthers – Kurt Capewell (knee); Titans – Dale Copley (ankle); Wests Tigers – Luciano Leilua (ankle); Sharks – Matt Moylan (hamstring).
* UNDER PRESSURE: Brisbane improved from their 59-0 humiliation the previous week with a two-point loss to Manly, but they still blew a three-try lead and have now lost all three games since the resumption of the competition.