Derek Chauvin posts $1 million bail

The cop charged with George Floyd’s death in May posted $1 million bail and has been released from custody ahead of his murder trial.

Derek Chauvin was released from the Minnesota Correctional Facility at 11.22am on Wednesday morning.

Chauvin, 44, was filmed kneeling on George Floyd’s neck for almost eight minutes.

Floyd suffered cardiopulmonary arrest as he was restrained by the cop, according to the Hennepin County medical examiner’s office.

He has been charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter in Floyd’s death.

The officer was held at the Hennepin and Ramsey county jails before he was transferred to the Oak Park Heights facility.

Chauvin was escorted by law enforcement officials last month out of the Hennepin County Family Justice Center and past a gate.

As Chauvin, clad in an orange jumpsuit, made his way into a black corrections department car, people could be heard yelling expletives at him.

“Coward!” “A**!” and “B**ch!” were some of the words launched at the former officer.

The shouts continued as the black car with Chauvin drove away, with a Hennepin County sheriff’s SUV leading the way and two others trailing behind, a video from KMSP shows.

On the evening of May 25, Officers Chauvin and Thao responded to a report of a “forgery in progress.”

According to reports, police had responded to a call from a grocery store that claimed Floyd had used a forged check.

After Floyd allegedly resisted arrest, officers dragged him from his car and pinned him to the ground.

It was then that officer Chauvin held Floyd down with his knee on his neck and his other knee in the middle of his back.

The disturbing fatal encounter was caught on video by onlookers.

Also in the video, officer Thao can be seen to the right of Floyd ushering the crowds away from the scene. The cops have been since fired.

During Floyd’s arrest, Chauvin was seen kneeling on the 46-year-old’s neck and back.

Despite a number of pleas from Floyd, the officer continued to pin him down.

After a number of minutes, Floyd went unconscious and officer Chauvin did not remove his knee until the man was loaded onto a gurney.

The medical examiner identified Floyd, but the cause of death was pending.

His grieving family says Floyd was “clearly murdered.”

This article originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission

Source link

Leave a comment

Sign Up Now

Become a member of our online community and get tickets to upcoming matches or sports events faster!