The NSW government has announced it will ease restrictions on outdoor sports, with all community sport to return from next month.
Sports teams will be allowed to resume competition from July 1, Sports Minister Geoff Lee announced this morning on 2GB.
Outdoor sports are currently restricted to 10 people or less – which includes players, officials and spectators.
Under the new rules, spectators will not be permitted to gather in stands, and food and drink venues can open for 50 people. Contact details of people entering premises will also need to be kept.
The State Government had already announced that children’s sport competitions could return from July 1.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard stressed that crowds could not at this point gather in the stands.
“Today’s announcement is about a staged reopening of the sports economy in a way that minimises the risk to the public. This makes a level playing field for sports stadiums, in line with the clubs and pubs reopening to patrons,” he said.
‘”With no vaccine and no treatment for COVID-19 there is an obligation on all of us to continue to maintain physical distancing and good hand hygiene. The virus has not gone away.”
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said further details would be announced later today, but confirmed that footy fans are in for a disappointment.
Asked whether the state will see fans at the footy this weekend, Premier Gladys Berejiklian said: “Not this weekend, no.
“The use of corporate boxes and the like is the first stage of engagement, but please know we look forward to further easing restrictions, and to bringing some level of normality back to our lives,” she told the Nine Network this morning.