WHAT HAPPENED IN ROUND 12 OF THE NRL:
* QUOTE OF THE ROUND: “It was like a morgue in the dressing rooms, they were really disappointed. I had to ask them if they really wanted to sing the team song” – Parramatta coach Brad Arthur after his side survived a scare to beat Canterbury 18-16.
* STAT THAT MATTERS: Penrith winger Charlie Staines became the first player since Don Manson in 1937 to score six tries in his maiden two first-grade games.
* MAGIC MOMENT: South Sydney kicked off Indigenous round in style, with all 32 of their points against St George Illawarra coming from their Indigenous stars. Alex Johnston bagged a hat-trick, Cody Walker a double and Latrell Mitchell finished with 10 points.
* MAN OF THE ROUND: Nathan Cleary was in everything in Penrith’s 42-12 flogging of Manly. He kicked a 40-20 in the lead up to one try, set up two and others and then put the icing on the cake when he grubbered, chased and collected his own kick to score.
* TALKING POINT: Are Cronulla a genuine threat again? Under immense pressure two months ago, they have now won six of their past seven after coming from behind against Brisbane on Friday night. Next Sunday shapes as their biggest test, up against Parramatta.
* JUDICIARY WATCH: Rabbitohs – Jaydn Su’a (dangerous contact); Warriors – Adam Blair, Peta Hiku, Eliesa Katoa (all dangerous contact); Broncos – Jake Turpin (dangerous contact); Sharks – Jackson Ferris (shoulder charge); Knights – Pasami Saulo (dangerous contact).
* CASUALTY WARD: Rabbitohs – Adam Reynolds (shoulder); Dragons – Euan Aitken (hamstring); Roosters – Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (calf); Sea Eagles – Dylan Walker (foot), Curtis Sironen (knee), Brad Parker (concussion); Panthers – Charlie Staines (hamstring); Storm – Cameron Smith (shoulder); Knights – Bradman Best (ankle).
* UNDER PRESSURE: Brisbane’s board face another long week. With a clash against the man they axed two years ago in Wayne Bennett ahead, they were only spared from bottom spot on the ladder by Canterbury’s defeat on Sunday. They are now at serious risk of collecting their first wooden spoon.