NSW Police is investigating an altercation allegedly involving Cody Walker after a bizarre video emerged online showing the NRL star kicking a man in the chest in a Casino street last year.
Detectives from Richmond Police District have commenced an investigation into a brawl in Casino in December, with the high-profile South Sydney player alleging footage from the incident has been used in a blackmail attempt against him for $20,000.
The original incident was not reported to police.
While South Sydney claimed in a statement the incident occurred in October last year, police say their information is the altercation took place on December 1.
In the video, two men are facing off in the street when a shirtless Walker charges into the frame, kicking one man in the chest and sending him stumbling backwards.
The NSW State of Origin half is later seen being ushered away from the scene by an unknown person when a second confrontation sparks up and is eventually defused.
In a statement given to AAP, NSW Police confirmed they are investigating both the incident and an extortion attempt reported by Walker on Sunday night.
“An investigation is underway after threats were made against a 30-year-old man over the phone, about 7.45pm on Saturday 16 May 2020,” it reads.
“The matter was reported to police about 1pm yesterday (Sunday 17 May 2020) and officers from South Sydney Police Area Command have commenced an investigation.
“Subsequently, detectives from Richmond Police District commenced an investigation into an affray in Casino on 1 December 2019.
“Police have been told a group of males were involved in a brawl on a street in Casino, which was diffused a short time later.
“The incident was not initially reported to NSW Police.”
In a statement released on Sunday night, the Rabbitohs said Walker had contacted NSW Police himself to investigate claims he was being blackmailed.
It’s understood Walker was contacted by an unknown person on Saturday night and asked for money or the video would be sold to media outlets.
Walker was due to speak to the NRL’s integrity unit on Monday afternoon as they begin an investigation into the incident.
“The South Sydney Rabbitohs are aware of an incident involving player Cody Walker which took place in northern New South Wales in October 2019,” a club statement read.
“The NRL’s integrity unit have been informed.
“At no stage has Cody Walker been the subject of a police enquiry in relation to this incident.
“The Rabbitohs will be making no further comment on this matter at this stage as it is part of an ongoing police enquiry instigated by Cody Walker himself.”