A man has been arrested almost two years after Nicole Cartwright was found dead in a Sydney park, wrapped in a bed sheet.
Officers were called to Buffalo Creek Reserve in Sydney’s Lower North Shore on October 3, 2018 after Ms Cartwright’s body was found by a council worker, partially covered by leaves and the sheet.
Detectives from the state’s homicide squad formed a strike force after the 32-year-old was found but mystery surrounded her death for close to two years.
Following extensive inquiries, Strike Force Winkurra investigators arrested a 51-year-old man at Parramatta Police Station just before 1pm today.
The man is currently in police custody and charges are expected later today.
NSW Police will also address the lengthy investigation this afternoon.
Police feared the investigation had gone cold, issuing an appeal for information on the first anniversary of her death last year.
“Nicole had a very distinct style so we believe there are people who would have seen her,” Detective Acting Superintendent Jason Dickinson said in October 2019.
“It has now been a year since this investigation began, and police would like to speak with anyone who has any information that may assist with our inquiries, including contact with or sightings of Nicole, and any knowledge of her associates.
“From the information we have gathered, it’s likely there are people who know what happened, even if they weren’t directly involved.”
On the first anniversary appeal, Ms Cartwright’s brother Ben said the past year had been “unimaginably difficult”.
“We are still struggling to comprehend that she will never be coming home,” Mr Cartwright said in a statement on behalf of the family.
“We grieve daily for Nicole and the life she never got to live. We’d like to thank the community, friends and family for how supportive they have been. We are forever grateful and it’s clear she was loved by many.
“Nicole would have turned 33 on October 1 (2019). It was a heartbreaking reminder of the immense pain we feel on a day that should have been a celebration.
“I know we can’t bring her back, but we don’t want any other family to go through the pain we have had to endure.”
In October 2018, homicide squad commander Detective Superintendent Scott Cook said police had been inundated with calls since appealing to the public for information in the days after she was found.
“Detectives have been working through the vast amounts of information received,” he told news.com.au.
“It is very clear that Nicole was a great friend and well-liked, and members of the community are providing whatever information they can to help us provide answers about her death to her family.
“That said, we are still piecing her final movements together — and anyone who spoke with or saw Nicole over the long weekend is urged to get in touch with us as soon as possible.”